Joseph Powers, MD
Joseph Powers, MD, FAAP, CAQSM
Non-Operative Sports Medicine
Comprehensive Orthopedic Sports Medicine Specialization
Dr. Joseph Powers is a fellowship-trained sports medicine physician with board certifications in pediatrics and sports medicine. A native of Georgia, he completed his medical education at the Medical College of Georgia, and then completed his residency in pediatrics at the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill. He completed his fellowship in primary care sports medicine at the renowned Andrews Sports Medicine/American Sports Medicine Institute.
Team Physician for Student and Professional Athletes
Dr. Powers specializes in non-operative orthopedics and sports medicine, and provides diagnosis and care for sports-related injuries, including sprains, fractures and tendon injuries, as well as care for concussions and sports-related illness. He is extensively experienced in serving the Atlanta area, and offers care for patients of all ages and skill levels, including youth, student, recreational, adult and professional athletes. Dr. Powers has served as team physician for multiple local high schools, including Lakeview, West Hall and Chestatee, as well as an assistant primary care physician for the Atlanta Falcons.
Researcher and Lecturer
In addition to providing patient care, Dr. Powers has served as an invited lecturer for numerous presentations and symposiums, and was featured on ESPN’s “Outside the Lines”. He has clinical interests in concussion management, treatment of conditions in pediatric athletes and musculoskeletal ultrasound. A recreational athlete himself, Dr. Powers enjoys running and playing golf in his free time, as well as spending time with his family and watching the Falcons and UGA football.
Dr. Joseph Powers Education and Certifications
Education and Clinical Specialization
- Doctor of Medicine, Medical College of Georgia
- Residency, Pediatrics, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- Fellowship, Primary Care Sports Medicine, Andrews Sports Medicine/American Sports Medicine Institute
Certifications and Affiliations
- Board Certified, Pediatrics and Primary Care Sports Medicine
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics
- Member, American Medical Society for Sports Medicine
- Member, American Academy of Pediatrics Council on Sports Medicine and Fitness
- Member, American Academy of Pediatrics Section on Young Physicians