Mark J. Sakr, DO
Mark Sakr, DO, CAQSM, FAAFP
Director of Non-Operative Sports Medicine
Comprehensive Non-Operative Sports Medicine Specialization
Dr. Mark J. Sakr is a fellowship-trained sports medicine physician with board certifications in sports medicine and family medicine, and serves as the Director of Non-Operative Sports Medicine for the Northside Hospital Sports Medicine Network. Dr. Sakr specializes in the diagnosis and treatment for sports-related injuries including fractures, sprains, tendon injuries, as well as care for concussions, performance medicine and medical conditions in athletes. He has extensive clinical, research and teaching experience, serving as an Assistant Professor at University of Pittsburgh (UPMC) and Duke University Medical Centers.
Team Physician for Student, Olympic and Professional Athletes
Dr. Sakr has extensive experience treating athletes of all ages and skill levels, including pediatric, high school, college, professional and Olympic athletes. He currently serves as team physician for several schools in the Atlanta Region and for USA Rugby, where he provides care for the USA Men’s 15's National Team and Olympic 7's Men’s and Women’s Teams. Additionally, Dr. Sakr served as the team physician for the NHL’s Carolina Hurricanes, as well as colleges and high schools throughout Pittsburgh and North Carolina. He has worked onsite at many races as medical tent physician and served as medical director for events including the Pittsburgh Triathlon and Adventure Race, Tough Mudder – Philadelphia, Pittsburgh Marathon and Raleigh Ironman 70.3, among many others.
On the Forefront of the Latest Therapies and Treatments
Dr. Sakr’s research interests include PRP and stem cell therapy for musculoskeletal conditions, as well as athlete performance testing. He has published numerous peer-reviewed publications, abstracts and book chapters, lecturing both nationally and internationally at some of the most esteemed symposiums. He has clinical interests in therapeutic orthobiologics, ultrasound-guided procedures and diagnostics, concussion management, post-concussion syndrome, nutrition and general sports medicine.
Dr. Mark Sakr’s Education and Certifications
Education and Clinical Specialization:
- Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, Midwestern University – Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine
- Residency, Family Practice, Duke University Medical Center
- Chief Resident, Family Practice, Duke University Medical Center
- Fellowship, Primary Care Sports Medicine, University of North Carolina Hospitals
Certifications and Affiliations:
- Board Certified, Sports Medicine & Family Medicine
- Fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians
- Member, American Society for Sports Medicine
- Member, American Academy of Osteopathic Sports Medicine
- Member, American Academy of Family Physicians
- Member, American College of Osteopathic Family Physicians
New / Existing Patient Forms