Dr. Elan Golan is now offering the Matrix-induced Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation (MACI) procedure for candidates with knee pain. This procedure uses your own cells to create durable repair tissue for knee cartilage damage.
What are the steps to a MACI treatment?
- A biopsy of your healthy cartilage cells is taken during a diagnostic arthroscopy
- The appropriate cells are then isolated in a FDA-licensed facility.
- More healthy cartilage cells are grown and placed on a resorbable membrane and delivered to Dr. Golan
- Dr. Golan will then implant the new cells into your knee. When the cells regenerate, they form a repair tissue that fills the cartilage defect.
- A customized rehabilitation plan is developed
What are the benefits of MACI?
- This procedure uses your own cartilage cells to create durable repair tissue
- Pain is reduced and joint function is restored in as few as six months after the procedure
- You can safely return the activities you enjoy
To learn more about this procedure, or to see if you are a candidate, call our office at 678-344-4944.